The OUHSC Writing Center, which is located in Room 214 in the DLB Student Union, serves the students, faculty, and staff of the entire OU Health Sciences campus. Services provided by the Writing Center include help with topic selection, strategies for successful research, proper citation use, grammar correctness and draft revision.
- Starting a writing project
- Using bibliographic software, such as Endnote
- Conducting research
- Incorporating sources
- Logical paper organization Citation/Documentation (JAMA, APA, etc.)
- Clarity and style
- Language usage guidelines
All kinds of writing:
- Research papers
- Application essays/Personal statements
- Theses and Dissertations
- Cover letters
- Resumes/Curriculum Vitae
- Any writing project!
"I thought the writing center was very helpful. We sat down and spent quality time
revising my paper." ~Yi Xiong
"I appreciated your input greatly! Thanks again!" ~Samantha Johnson
Online Writing Resources for Students:
How to Use the Writing Center
- The Writing Center is student oriented; the writing needs of the students are the first priority of the Writing Center staff.
- The Writing Center is open on an appointment basis for all OUHSC students, free of charge. To schedule an appointment, use WCONLINE.
- Help is available at any point during the writing process—from brainstorming through the final draft.
- Papers cannot be dropped off for review. However, a student who has limited time due to school/work/rotation schedules is welcome to e-mail the paper to the Writing Center Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. E-mailed papers will receive overview and general comments within five business days; for more specific feedback, a telephone or in-person meeting is required.
- Please include the following information when you send a paper by e-mail
- Your college (e. g., Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health)
- Your program of study (e.g., BSN; Ph.D.; MPH)
- The date your paper is due
- Any specific questions
- Students may submit only their own papers. Turning in someone else’s work is a form of academic misconduct. Papers submitted to the Writing Center by someone other than the author will be returned without review. Group projects must be clearly identified and submitted by a member of the group who can identify the contribution of each group member. Please include the names of all group members when submitting a group project for review.
- Assistance is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. Appointment times are limited, so book appointments well in advance of assignment deadlines.