Accessibility and Disability Resource Center

The Accessibility and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) provides services to students with disabilities to ensure that they have equal access to education, housing, events, and activities on all three University of Oklahoma campuses. The ADRC also oversees digital and structural accessibility. 

For full information about the Accessibility and Disability Resource Center, visit the ADRC website.

What kinds of disabilities does the ADRC accommodate?

A disability is defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, as Amended as a mental or physical impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities. Examples of disabilities are: 

  • Mobility
  • Psychological 
  • Autism Spectrum Disorders
  • Auto-Immune Illnesses
  • Physical Disabilities
  • Blind/Low Vision
  • Deaf or Hard of Hearing
  • Learning Disabilities
  • ADHD
  • Chronic Health Conditions 


How to Register

  • Self-identify as a student with a disability and submit documentation via email (preferred) or fax
  • Documentation will be reviewed within 5-15 university days
  • Next steps will be sent to your OUHSC email address after review
    • Schedule an appointment with an ADRC team member – OR – 
    • Provide additional documentation, if requested
  • Meet with an ADRC team member via Zoom or phone to determine appropriate accommodations once sufficient documentation has been received 

Full details on the registration process may be found at

What do I need to provide for documentation? 

Appropriate documentation differs depending on the disability; however, there are seven essential elements of quality documentation. These elements are as follows:

  • The credentials of the provider/evaluator
  • A diagnostic statement clearly identifying the disability
  • A description of the diagnostic methodology used
  • A description of the current functional limitations
  • A description of the expected progression or stability of the disability
  • A description of current and past accommodations, services, and/or medications
  • Recommendations for accommodations, adaptive devices, assistive services, compensatory strategies, and/or collateral support services 

Full details on documentation guidelines may be found at

How are Reasonable Accommodations determined?

Accommodations are determined through an interactive process on a case-by-case basis, taking into account:

  • The student’s self-report 
  • Any past history of accommodation
  • The professional judgment of the ADRC staff
  • The unique characteristics of each course/program
  • Documentation from external sources 


How to request your accommodations 

In order to receive your approved accommodations, you must first formally request them. Because accommodation needs may vary from class to class and term to term, we ask that accommodations are requested 5-10 university days prior to the start of every term. Accommodations may be requested at any time during the semester, however please keep in mind that accommodation requests typically take 3-5 university days to be processed. To request your accommodations, you must send your request via email to Dr. Guttery ( and/or Angela Barbour ( and include the following information:

  • Course number(s) for the courses in which you want to use your accommodations
  • Specific accommodations you would like to use 


What do I do if my accommodation needs change?

If you feel that you need different and/or additional accommodations please call the ADRC at (405) 325-3852 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Guttery or Angela Barbour. Depending on the desired accommodations, additional documentation may be required. 

What if I have a Temporary Medical Condition? 

Throughout the course of their education students may experience a temporary medical condition, such as a broken bone, a concussion, adjustment disorder, pregnancy, or extended illness. The ADRC may provide temporary courtesy services for the duration of the condition. In order to do so, documentation must be submitted to the ADRC which includes the diagnosis, prognosis, and recommendations for services from a licensed provider qualified to do so. 

How do I get accommodations for 3rd party examinations (i.e. board exams) 

To begin the process, the student will need to complete a Release of Information form which indicates the information which they are requesting to be provided, i.e. a Letter of Accommodation and/or for a form to be filled out. If a form is required, it is the student’s responsibility to provide that form, and any other pertinent information, to the ADRC. Many organizations have recency requirements for documentation, so re-assessment may be necessary. Letter requests typically take 5-10 university days for completion, so it is important to send the request well in advance of when it is needed. 

I have more questions; where do I go? 

Please call the Center at 405.325.3852 to speak with Dr. Guttery or Angela Barbour. You may also send questions via email to and/or