Who We Are
When pursuing a career in the health sciences, there are times that the pressures, personal conflict, and other stressful situations can seem overwhelming. The goal of Student Counseling Services is to improve the quality of students' lives.
Student Counseling Services can help with a wide-range of Common Concerns:
||Improving Study and Test Taking Skills
|Changing behavior patterns
||Problems with drugs/alcohol
|Difficulties adjusting to new culture
|| Adapting to academic programs
|Grief and Loss
|Adapting to life situations
|Identity, sexual identity and gender identity issues
Visit our staff profile page to learn more about the counselors.
For more information, please view our brochure
Schedule an Appointment
There are several ways to schedule an appointment to see a counselor:
- Call 271-7336 Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- E-mail us at email@example.com. To protect your confidentiality, please limit your e-mail messages to scheduling information and also keep in mind that e-mails are checked during business hours listed above and responded to within 2 business days.
- Drop by Suite 300 in the Student Union during our business hours and talk to our administrative assistant.
Cost and Eligibility
Anyone who is a student at the University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center may utilize Counseling Services and the cost is part of your student fees. There is a fee for certain psychological assessments.
Privacy and Confidentiality
By law we cannot let anyone know that you have utilized our services unless under very specific circumstances detailed below & even in those situations, only the relevant information to the relevant individuals will be released. Circumstances in which we must release information include any of the following:
- If you are a danger to yourself or others
- If you talk about the abuse or neglect of a child or older adult
- If we get a Court Order, or
- If you give us written permission to release your records to a specified source.
Location and Hours
Student Counseling Services has offices in this location:
- The David L. Boren Student Union, 1106 North Stonewall Avenue
Our hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. through 5 p.m. We also offer extended hours on various days until 7 p.m. We are closed on public holidays.
If you are experiencing severe emotional distress during non-business hours, please use the following resources to get the help you need:
- Heartline, Inc. (405) 848-2273
- National Suicide Hotline (800) 273-8255
- Reach-Out Hotline (800) 522-9054
- YWCA Rape Crisis Helpline: (405) 943-7273
If you are experiencing distress due to interpersonal violence, sexual assault, sexual misconduct or stalking, please call OU Advocates at 405-615-0013, 24/7.
If you are having thoughts of hurting yourself or another person, you should immediately call:
- Campus police (405) 271-4911
If possible, go to the nearest emergency room and ask for the psychologist or psychiatrist on call:
- St. Anthony’s Hospital (405) 272-6055
- Deaconess Hospital (405) 604-6138